What’s good world?
Fall 2009 semester just started here at UC Berkeley, so we’re all about to get back on our grind. With that comes S4HH responsibilities, duties, and ballyhoo. We have a lot planned for this year and want to continue the rich tradition that previous S4HH members have created here at Cal and in the Bay Area community. That said, we want to give some shoutouts to all the S4HH alumni that are doing big things:
- Jeff Chang, author of the book “Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop” earned his BS from UC Berkeley – http://cantstopwontstop.com/
- Melanie Cervantes’ art collective exhibiting and teaching ill revolutionary art throughout the bay and US – http://tallertupacamaru.com/
- Our boy Derek and Z Note host a dope radio show in SF – http://www.sanguinesoul.com/
- DJ Phatrick, who DJ’s for Bambu (formerly of the Native Guns), was instrumental to the club when he was at Cal and was vital in establishing our community presence. Check out his blog – http://djphatrick.wordpress.com/
- DJ Capski, another S4HH alumn DJ – http://www.djcapski.com/
- Do D.A.T, who always comes through Hip Hop in Park has always been a big support of S4HH – http://www.myspace.com/datamen
- S4HH alumn turned bay area rap duo –http://www.thebashbros.com/
- DJ Lady Sha took the DJ decal her senior year and is now tearing up the entire DJ scene. She was the first woman to ever with the DJ Spin-Off at the Winter Music Conference in 2008 – http://www.myspace.com/djladysha/
- Khalil, a dope MC based out of Seattle. He just got voted reader’s best MC in Seattle by Seattle Weekly, so big ups to him – http://www.khingz.com/
Shoutout to Derek for the idea for this post. If we forgot any alumni or affiliates, just leave a comment or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get it up here. We also created an Alumni section on the right hand side of the website, so we’re trying to connect with all the alumni.
Stay up & peace ya’ll
This is 2 months past due, but we’re posting pictures and videos from Hip Hop in the Park, which was held on Saturday, May 2nd, 2009. This year marked the 13th annual HHitP. Every year S4HH at UC Berkeley plans, organizes, books, promotes, the free, all ages Hip-Hop in the Park concert at People’s Park in Berkeley, CA.
This year, Ruby Veridiano-Ching hosted the show, while Blu & Exile, Bambu, Bayliens, Bayonics, J – Boogie, Rising Asterisk, and Da Magic Foolbus rocked the stage. The ciphers, breakers, graf artists, and hip-hop heads were in full effect. Wild 94.9, 106 KMEL, and Verse Sneaker Boutique all came out to show love.
We’ve included a video that includes a series of clips from all the acts below. Hit the jump for pictures (Shoutout to Adia, Nivay, Danielle, & Adam). Or visit the fam at 2DopeBoyz for videos Blu & Exile performing